Home Security Checklist to Help You Keep Your Home Safe and Secure
Posted on 25th, Sep 2019
When it comes to home security, there are a lot of things to keep in mind, which is why creating a home security checklist is important. Here’s a comprehensive home security checklist from an experienced Perth Locksmith to help you improve your home’s security.
Home Security Checklist for the Exterior
You need to fortify your home’s exterior, making it impenetrable for burglars. Here’s the checklist to help you do that:
- Check that windows, doors and security doors are locked.
- Ensure pet doors/access points are secured.
- Ensure your garden shed is locked and any ladders or tools stored are kept out of sight (as they can be used to gain entry into your home).
- Your garden, lawn and front porch are tidy and well cared for, with no overgrown bushed or other such convenient spots for burglars to hide.
- Install ample lights around your home to keep it well lit (you can invest in solar lights that recharge during the day and light up after dark to keep your home well lit).
- If going on vacation, suspend your mail deliveries or ask a neighbour to pick them up daily (an overstuffed mailbox is a clear signal to potential burglars that your home is vacant and an easy target).
- Do not leave a spare key to your home under the mat, under a potted plant or anywhere in the vicinity of your home (no matter how clever you think your hiding spot is, there’s always the risk of someone finding the key).
Home Security Checklist for the Interior
- Consider leaving the lights on inside the house when going out at night (it will make it appear that someone’s home, which in turn will deter burglars and other miscreants from trying anything).
- Keep your curtains drawn at all times (you don’t want burglars peeping in to scope out the house and see all of the valuable items that they can get their hands on if they succeed to break in).
- Ensure the door leading from the garage to the house is locked before you go to bed at night.
- All windows and sliding doors are locked and secured (it is also a good idea to install security doors to improve the safety of your home).
- Keep all your money and jewellery in a safe.
- When hiring a plumber, electrician or Perth Locksmith Services, ensure you hire licensed, reliable professionals (there are a lot of scammers who advertise cheap services on Gumtree and other platforms. Steer clear of them). Remember, when you hire a tradie, you’re inviting them into your home. So, it is very important that the person is trustworthy and comes with all the necessary credentials for the job.
So, there you have it. A detailed checklist to help you keep your home as safe and secure as possible. Never take your safety for granted. If you feel you need to improve your home’s security, get in touch with Locksmith Perth 24/7 and we’ll help you out. Call us on 0427 580 823.